What is Small Business Saturday UK?
Small Business Saturday UK is a grassroots, non-commercial campaign, which highlights small business success and encourages consumers to ‘shop local’ and support small businesses in their communities.
The day itself takes place on the first Saturday in December each year, but the campaign aims to have a lasting impact on small businesses.
On Small Business Saturday, customers across the UK go out and support all types of small businesses, online, in offices and in stores.
The ethos at the heart of the Small Business Saturday campaign has remained: to promote small businesses at the heart of the holiday season and to help this invaluable sector of the economy grow and thrive
According to Startups Magazine in 2020 “ Shoppers who took to the high street demonstrated a real sense of community spirit, with 48% stating that they chose to spend money with small businesses as they wanted to support them as much as possible after a tough year.”
How to get involved as a small business owner
Here are a few ideas that can help you celebrate Small Business Saturday and get your business noticed in your local area:
- visit the Small Business Saturday ‘get involved’ page for useful resources that you can use to
- promote your business on their FREE Small Business Finder and request their FREE marketing pack.
- Put up posters and notices in your shop windows, chalkboards and on your market stands etc
- Provide your customers with Small Business Saturday offers and discounts.
- Set up or take part in an in-person or online, workshop, demo or showcase event.
- Share some knowledge or ‘behind the scenes’ (BTS) info about your business on your Socials
Shout loud and proud about your business
This is your opportunity to shout loud and proud about what you do; share your passion and vision for your business and, at this crucial time of the year, gain more sales and become seriously visible to potential customers/clients for the festive period and New Year.
If you are on social media be sure to tag, #SmallBizSatUK
How to support Small Businesses
If you’re not a small business owner, we hope you’ll still be able to help support all the small businesses in your area. and online.
To support you can:
- Use the small business finder to locate ones close to you
- Buy their products and services
- Share their social media posts with your own audiences
- Share testimonials and feedback
- Share posts of you using their products and services
- Like and comment on their posts
- Use #SmallBizSatUK and @SmallBizSatUK to share the message wider
Have a great Small Business Saturday everyone and don’t forget we will be hosting our Christmas Gift Day this Saturday, a day filled with shopping, music, crafting and nibbles, so come out and support our small business, as every little helps!